Pages

Subscribe Twitter

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What will I give up??



Today's Ash Wednesday, it marks the first day of Lent, what else comes to my mind? Fasting and abstinence! Well, I don't want to get started, I studied all my life in a Catholic school (steppin' it up a bit when I even went to an exclusive all- girls school in college!) But being here surely made a difference. Sounds funny but before I use to dread going to every school sponsored Masses, learn your Religion, every single tradition that we Filipinos believe in with regard to our faith. And now, I do miss it! I never even got a chance to have ashes on my forehead, never saw anyone at work either. Didn't go to church too! In our family we were brought up pretty good, my grandma was pretty much the traditional sagrado-Katoliko and it was passed upon us. Too bad I don't even have half of those traditions here anymore.

I decided that since abstaining from eating meat might be a bit impossible since I really do need to have all my energies on Fridays at work, I am thinking of just making a sacrifice. I think that as time changes we have to conform to the society we are in, but that doesn't mean compromising the faith and traditions that you're brought up with. So I thought of just giving up something for Lent, that will be my sacrifice! I will give up eating chocolates! Might sound simple but you guys haven't seen my work place, you'll just be surprised on how much chocolates we have, almost every teller station and my boss' desk, they do bring it on their own! I'll give up eating it, since I tend to have at least probably 10 in a day, and a lot more if it's a busy day or if I'm really stressed. I am giving up my pretzel snack too! I always buy a large size of cinnamon pretzel bites on weekends, its been my routine for years.. I really wanted to make sacrifices this year, I miss being able to practice this tradition. Its easier back home since almost everyone are on the same page.. But not in here.

So for forty days, I will try my very best to give up things and foods that I know are my favorites, give up any negative behaviors I've been having. At the same I want to give something: more patience and understanding, more faith and love, more perseverance and hope. And I hope that just like Christmas, we won't forget the true meaning and significance of the Lenten Season.

1 comments:

Dorxie said...

good, ate rix! i'm giving up "meat" this Lent. SO it's all veggies and seafoods for me for 40 days!