Pages

Subscribe Twitter

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Working in a Stormy Friday

It was all over the news that there will be a storm to hit Northern California yesterday. So of course being from Manila, I immediately shoved the thought that it will be so powerful and worst as how the news predicts it to be. I figured, its just the media hype trying to make a big deal of it. I mean the bagyos we have in the Philippines are really strong, lumilipad na nga ang bubong hindi pa din signal number 1! But I guess I was so wrong!

Friday Morning.. I get up at 6:00 am to get ready for work, and the wind was really blowing hard that I thought it will break our windows. One of our neighbors car was hit by a plywood that was blown off, he was so frustrated upon seeing it. I was so bundled up, I am wearing a turtleneck top, with a pink warm sweater, and then I still have my raincoat complete with a hood! Too bad I have to work, and what's worse was one of my officemates called in that day, so I have to fill in for him. Here's what he do: Every hour he has to get the deposits and other works from each of the tellers, get the outgoing and inter branch mails, then he walks across the street to the other building to bring over the works. That's what we call a "run". So I was there basically thinking to myself "how in the hell am I supposed to do this?" I'll get knocked over by the wind. According to the news it was blowing 50-60 miles per hour. One of my co-workers, got knocked up and fell on the bushes by our parking lot on the way to work. And she is probably five foot nine! Sa liit ko, feeling ko e kayang-kaya ko tangayin ng hangin! Too bad, a job is a job! There are some procedures that only me and my friend Lily could do, and means we have to get out in freezing rain! I had one of the tellers do the first run and when he came back, the umbrella was totally destroyed! He came back soaking wet since the wind basically broke the umbrella he was using, and mind you he was the biggest and tallest guy we have.

*** for more pictures and stories, please click this***
It was such a mess, for a short while our front parking was a bit flooded and I have to brave the storm and did the rest of the runs. I had one bad experience with the wind that I even thought it will knocked me out or will blew me away! I totally hate my co-worker for not showing up to work! The news and the pictures they have on tv were really surprising, trees were uprooted, trailer trucks on the freeway were knocked over.

So at the end of the day I was telling myself, all these I have to do just to earn a dollar! See, hindi pinupulot ang pera dito, pinaghihirapan din! Hehehe! Even if it means, you'll be soaking wet and getting beat up by a 60 mile per hour wind, you have to do your job! Its still raining right now, I think we'll catch a break on Monday but another storm will probably hit again on Wednesday.. Oh gosh, just please send me back home!! =)

** Photos on this post was from the Sacramento Bee**

0 comments: